Saturday, April 23, 2011

Journal 7 PLN (NETS, 5)

Personal learning network is a community of individuals with same interest. As a future teacher, with my PLN I am able to enhance my knowledge. Therefore, I have organized a personal learning network as a learning tool. My PLN include Twitter, Diigo and Educator PLN. From these sites I am able to communicate with other educators and acquire new knowledge. I am also able to share my knowledge with other peers. The web holds a community of profession learners of all types. My PLN holds information about special education, elementary school and technology. As a future teacher, this will help me by extending my network of professionals to acquire new knowledge and/or advice. I can also teach technology in the classroom with my newly acquired technology skills.

My twitter network includes various educators and students. Such as, Cybraryman1 an educator and writer. Bel is interested in language and creative ideas. Pam Elgin a retired elementary school teacher interested in web development. Hubert Yee edutopian background in nonprofit and learning such as myself. In addition, students in my technology class as well as my technology professor Jeff Heil. I selected my network because I felt the people I follow have the same interest as I do.

With TweetDeck I was able to able to participate in two chats simultaneously.
On Friday, April 22, 2011, at 4pm I participated in a gifted and talented student chat(#gtchat).As the GT chat was coming to an end a 5pm middle school chat started(#midleved). The gifted and talented chat discussed, the different priorities parents verse kids have. Followed by the topic of how to say no to a student and/or self. While this chat was coming to an end I participated in a middle school chat which one of my followers conducted. This chat discussed social house where students are divided up into sectors. Followed by, does your school structure support the mission statement/goals. Throughout both chats voices and opinions were stated along with related web links. Although I would like to specialize in special education I beilieve it is important to know all aspects of the education system. Participating in this chats has made me realize how easy I can access the world of knowledge. I am able to connect with individuals who I typically may not have had access to.

With Diigo a social bookmarking site I am able to bookmark and tag websites, which is easily accessible. In addition I am able to access peers bookmarks. With my network of professionals I was able to access interesting information which could help me with lesson plans, ideas and/or educating myself. I was able to access an article which describes several technology skills every educator should know. As a future educator I would like to know various technology skills I may not be aware of. Another bookmark I found from diigo PLN was information on prezi a presentation website. I think prezi is an amazing presentation website. However I found it difficult to use. From this bookmark I found a website which assist me on my prezi presentation. Then I visited one blog which a teacher reflects about her experience using web 2.0. I am fairly new to web 2.0 therefore, it is valuable to connect with other teachers who can reflect on the same experience.

I joined the digital discussion forum Educator's PLN. Educator's PLN is a website designed for teachers to collaborate with each other. Within the website there is educatonal video, forums and chats. I was also able to connect with other members who have the same educational interest as myself. On the website I explored a digital educational video. Alan November discusses three skills parents and educators need to teach students. Such as, information processing, global communication and being self-directed. Information process which, is giving students as much information as possible. Alan discusses the importance of global communication skills. He believes global communication skills are not taught in our school systems. The importance of being self-directed learner. Companies need to hire individuals who don't need managment. Things move faster without layers of management. He believes the American school systems are not designed to do those things. As a teacher it is vital to research other educators thoughts about the education system. Web 2.0 has allowed me to build a PLN allowing me to manage a wealth of information. Preparing me to teach to the best of my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment